I am at the gym alot these days, actually for the past 6 - 8 months or so. This is not a New Years thing. I like going to the gym for stress relief, and honestly, I really like food. I also like fitting in my jeans, so if I work out, I can eat and still wear my jeans. It would be nice to see them a couple of sizes smaller, but I'm not going to kill myself to get there, I'm just not that determined. It will happen, and in the meantime, someone please pass me the mashed potatoes.
Since I like going to the gym I kind of understand people who run outside. I even ran *jogged & walked* a 5k a few months ago, and it was fun. I understand the excitement of a race where there is a possibility of winning, I am super competitive, just ask Paul!
I have a friend, actually he's the husband of a friend, but he's my facebook friend, which totally counts. He is a darn running rockstar. He has been running a marathon every 5 weeks or so for the past year. He also competed in an ironman competition. He takes his running seriously. A couple of weeks ago he ran in an ultraman 50 mile race, impressive right? The following weekend he threw in another marathon just because he was in the area. He has another marathon coming up, and then another 50 mile race in April. He just announced that he is training for a 100 mile race. Seriously? Rockstar I say! I had to sit down and rest after reading his announcement.
On the one hand I have to admit I'm totally jealous because he could eat an entire lasagna for dinner, followed by a gallon of ice cream without having to worry about his jeans splitting the next day.
On the other hand, I have a car. If I need to get to someplace 100 miles away, or 50 miles away, or really even 26.2 miles away I will drive there. If my car breaks down someplace remote, I have a cell phone to call for help from, and I don't think there are any gaps in Verizon's coverage areas that are 100 miles wide. This is not a skill I need to master - thank goodness!
Furthermore, if some wild animal or invading space alien is going to chase me on foot for 100 miles I say it has earned a Laura sandwich for lunch.
Does moderation in all things include things like running? I've always thought of it as more of a rule about cheesecake, but now I'm wondering... I will go ahead and assume that for me, it does. I will exercise at the gym for a reasonable amount of time, and I will exercise a reasonable amount of self control (most of the time) when I am placing an order into a drive thru speaker. Diet Coke is not included in anything related to moderation. Diet Coke is my friend :)
You should write a syndicated column--too funny and too truth! That's great, though, that you enjoy the gym! I do too. In my philosophy, if it doesn't do anything else, it is cheaper than a doctor's visit, possibly less painful, and no one will ask you to undress and put on a hospital gown--so definitely less embarrasing. (In my book, that's good.) Love you!
ReplyDelete